The early 20th Century has now arrived in Saudi Arabia as the Saudi Shura Council has made a recommendation to let women drive. As we all know this is a risky move on the Shura's part. If they begin to see this as a trend women may begin to make other mad demands such as asking that they no longer be considered to be household property, for the right to go unescorted by a male relative in public or the right to be raped without then being flogged by Saudi authorities.
- The woman driver must be under 30. The woman's driving is conditional upon the permission of a relative [father, husband, brother, or son].
- The woman driver must obtain a driver's license from the center for teaching women to drive.
- The woman driver must be modestly dressed.
- The woman driver will be permitted to drive alone in the cities, but outside the cities she must be accompanied by a relative.
- The woman driver will be permitted to drive Saturday through Wednesday between 7:00 AM and 8:00 PM.
- The woman driver must have a cell phone with her, so she can call for help in an emergency.
- The woman driver must pay a certain sum when her license is issued; this sum will be set aside for car repairs.
The Shura Council also ordered the following:
- The establishment of a special women's transportation department; this department will collect the fees.
- The establishment of a telephone emergency center.
- The establishment of transportation centers for women in the cities, which will be under religious supervision.
- The council stipulated that a woman driver who violates these rules will have her license revoked.
If this keeps up, what's next: Women burning their hijabs??